Treatment of Lead-Exposed Children Trial (TLC)
The Treatment of Lead-Exposed Children Trial generated data that the Epidemiology Branch and its collaborators published in a peer-reviewed journal articles. To find out more about the study, please click the following links to the journal articles and abstracts.
- Chen A, Cai B, Dietrich KN, Radcliffe J, Rogan WJ. Lead exposure, IQ, and behavior in urban 5- to 7-year-olds: does lead affect behavior only by lowering IQ? Pediatr 2007;119:e650-8.
- Chen A, Rhoads GG, Cai B, Salganik M, Rogan WJ. The effect of chelation on blood pressure in lead-exposed children: a randomized study. Environ Health Perspect 2006;114:579-83.
- Chen A, Schwarz D, Radcliffe J, Rogan WJ. Maternal IQ, child IQ, behavior, and achievement in urban 5-7 year olds. Pediatr Res 2006;59:471-7.
- Chen A, Dietrich KN, Ware JH, Radcliffe J, Rogan WJ. IQ and blood lead from 2 to 7 years of age: are the effects in older children the residual of high blood lead concentrations in 2-year-olds? Environ Health Perspect 2005;113:597-601.
- Chen A, Rogan WJ. Improving behavior of lead-exposed children: micronutrient supplementation, chelation, or prevention. J Pediatr 2005;147:570-1.
- Dietrich KN, Ware JH, Salganik M, Radcliffe J, Rogan WJ, Rhoads GG, Fay ME, Davoli CT, Denckla MB, Bornschein RL, Schwarz D, Dockery DW, Adubato S, Jones RL, Treatment of Lead-Exposed Children Clinical Trial Group. Effect of chelation therapy on the neuropsychological and behavioral development of lead-exposed children after school entry. Pediatrics 114:19-26, 2004.[Abstract ][Full Text ][download the PDF ]
- Adubato S, Alper R, Heenehan M, Rodriguez-Mayor L, Elsafty M. Successful ways to increase retention in a longitudinal study of lead-exposed children. Health Soc Work 28(4):312-315, 2003.[Full Text ]
- Rogan WJ, Ware JH. Exposure to lead in children--how low is low enough? N Engl J Med 2003;348:1515-6.
- Rogan WJ, Ware JH. Intellectual impairment in children with blood lead concentrations below 10 microg per deciliter. J Pediatr 2003;143:687-8.
- Liu X, Dietrich KN, Radcliffe J, Ragan NB, Rhoads GG, Rogan WJ. Do children with falling blood lead levels have improved cognition? Pediatr 2002;110:787-91.
- Rogan WJ, Dietrich KN, Ware JH, Dockery DW, Salganik M, Radcliffe J, Jones RL , Ragan NB, Chisolm JJ Jr, Rhoads GG, Treatment of Lead-Exposed Children Trial Group. The effect of chelation therapy with succimer on neuropsychological development in children exposed to lead. New England Journal of Medicine 344: 1421-1426, 2001.[Abstract ][Full Text ][PDF ]
- Dietrich KN, Berger OG, Bhattacharya A. Symptomatic lead poisoning in infancy: A prospective case analysis. J Pediatr 137:568-571, 2000.[Abstract ][PDF ]
- Treatment of Lead-exposed Children Trial Group. Safety and efficacy of succimer in toddlers with blood leads of 20-44 µg/dL. Pediatr Res 48:593-599, 2000.[Abstract ]
- Rich DQ, Yiin L-H, Rhoads GG, Glueck DH, Weisel C, Lioy PJ. A field comparison of two methods for sampling lead in household dust. J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 2:106-112, 1999[Abstract ]
- Rogan WJ, Ragan NB, Damokosh AI, Davoli C, Shaffer TR, Jones RL, Wilkens S, Heenehan MC, Ware JH, Henretig F. Recall of a lead-contaminated vitamin and mineral supplement in a clinical trial. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Safety 8:343-350, 1999.[Abstract ]
- Serwint JR, Damokosh AI, Berger OG, Chisolm JJ Jr, Gunter EW, Jones RL, Rhoads GG, Rogan WJ. No difference in iron status between children with low and moderate lead exposure. J Pediatr 135: 108-110, 1999.[Abstract ]
- Treatment of Lead-exposed Children Trial Group. The Treatment of Lead-exposed Children (TLC) Trial: Design and recruitment for a study of the effect of oral chelation on growth and development in toddlers. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 12:313-333, 1998.[Abstract ]
- Rhoads GG, Rogan WJ. Re: Treatment of lead-exposed children (letter). Pediatr 98:162-163, 1996.