Yang Sun, Ph.D.
Yang Sun, M.D., Ph.D.
Tel (919) 541-9812
P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop E1-05
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Yang Sun, M.D., Ph.D., is a Research Fellow in the Biomolecular Screening Branch of the National Toxicology Program Division at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). She works in the Worm Tox Screening Facility studying the mechanisms metal toxicity (cadmium, arsenic) in C. elegans. Before Yang joined the WormTox group in 2011, she worked as a postdoctoral research fellow for more than four years in the laboratory of Inorganic Toxicology at the National Cancer Institute.
Yang received her M.D. degree from China Medical University, China in 2000 and a Ph.D degree in Environmental Health and Community Medicine from Tsukuba University, Japan in 2006.
- Sun Y, Kojima C, Chignell CF, Mason RP and Waalkes MP. Arsenic Predisposes Skin Keratinocytes to UV-Induced Oxidative DNA Damage Yet Enhances Their Survival. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. (2011) 255(3):242-50.
- Sun Y, Pi J, Wang Xueqian, Tokar EJ, Liu J and Waalkes MP. Aberrant Cytokeratin Expression During Arsenic-induced Acquired Malignant Phenotype in Human HaCaT Keratinocytes Consistent with Epidermal Carcinogenesis. Toxicology (2009) 262(2):162-70.
- Pi J, Diwan BA, Sun Y, Liu J, Qu W, He Y, Styblo M, Waalkes MP Arsenic-Induced Malignant Transformation of Human Keratinocytes: Involvement of Nrf2. Free Radical Biology & Medicine (2008) 45:651-658.
- Li B, Sun Y, Sun X, Wang Y, Li X, Kumagai Y and Sun G. Monomethylarsonous Acid Induced Cytotoxicity and Endothelial Nitric Nxide Synthase Phosphorylation in Endothelial Cells. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol (2007), 78(6):455-8.
- Sun Y, Sumi D and Kumagai Y. Serine 1179 Phosphorylation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase Caused by 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene Through PI3K/Akt Signaling in Endothelial Cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology (2006), 214: 55-60.
- Sun Y, Taguchi K, Sumi D, Yamano S and Kumagai Y. Inhibition of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase Activity and Suppression of Endothelium-Dependent Vasorelaxation by 1,2-Naphthoquinone, a Component of Diesel Exhaust Particles. Archives of Toxicology (2006) 80: 280-285.
- Sun Y, Iemitsu M, Shimojo N, Miyauchi T, Amamiya M, Sumi D, Hayashi T, Sun G, Shimojo N and Kumagai Y. 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene Inhibits Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase Activity and Elevates Blood Pressure in Rats. Archives of Toxicology (2005) 79(12): 705-710.
- Xu Y, Tokar EJ, Sun Y, Waalkes MP. Arsenic-transformed malignant prostate epithelia can convert noncontiguous normal stem cells into an oncogenic phenotype. Environ Health Perspect.(2012)120(6):865-71.
- Sun Y, Tokar EJ, Waalkes MP. Overabundance of putative cancer stem cells in human skin keratinocyte cells malignantly transformed by arsenic. Toxicol Sci.(2012)125(1):20-9.
Environmental Justice and Minority Worker Programs