Julie Rice is a biologist in the Biomolecular Screening Branch of the National Toxicology Program Division at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). She maintains the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans and performs analyses for the NTP WormTox Screening Facility. Since joining the WormTox group, Rice has assisted in the development of several bioassays using C. elegans as an alternative model organism in high-throughput toxicological screening. These include assays measuring growth, reproduction, and feeding rates of worms exposed to various toxicants. The WormTox group has screened over 1700 chemicals so far.
Julie received her B.S. from the University of Wisconsin at LaCrosse in 1986. Prior to working at NIEHS, she performed nutrient analysis on water, soil, and plant material at the Duke University Wetland Center in Durham, North Carolina.
- Rice JR, Boyd WA, Chandra D, Smith MV, Den Besten PK, Freedman JH. (2013) Comparison of the toxicity of fluoridation compounds in the nematode C. elegans. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013 Sep 16. doi: 10.1002/etc.2394. [Epub ahead of print] [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24105802) ]
- Harrington J, Boyd W, Smith M, Rice J, Freedman J, Crumbliss A. 2012. Amelioration of Metal-Induced Toxicity In Caenorhabditis Elegans: Utility of Chelating Agents in the Bioremediation Of Metals. Toxicol Sci (Epub ahead of print) [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22641620) ]
- Boyd WA, McBride SJ, Rice JR, Snyder DW, Freedman JH. 2010. A high-throughput method for assessing chemical toxicity using a Caenorhabditis elegans reproduction assay. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 245:153-159. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20206647) ]
- Boyd WA, Smith MV, Kissling GE, Rice JR, Snyder DW, Portier CJ, Freedman JH. 2009. Application of a mathematical model to describe the effects of chlorpyrifos on Caenorhabditis elegans development. PLoS ONE, 4(9):e7024. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19753116) ]
- Smith MV, Boyd WA, Kissling GE, Rice JR, Snyder DW, Portier CJ, Freedman JH. 2009. A discrete time model for the analysis of medium-throughput C. elegans growth data. PLoS ONE, 4(9):e7018. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19753303) ]