Stephanie Smith-Roe, Ph.D.
Biomolecular Screening Branch
Stephanie L. Smith-Roe, Ph.D.
Biomolecular Screening Branch
Stephanie L. Smith-Roe, Ph.D., is a genetic toxicologist in the Genetic Toxicology Group within the Biomolecular Screening Branch of the National Toxicology Program (NTP).
Smith-Roe designs experiments to evaluate the genotoxic potential of chemicals and reviews and evaluates results for inclusion in the NTP technical reports. She assists with management of the NTP’s genetic toxicology testing contract. Smith-Roe also contributes to assay selection, design, and analysis for the NTP initiative for High Throughput Screening (Tox21 Collaboration).
Smith-Roe acquired training in genetic toxicology and in molecular and cellular biology in the pursuit of understanding the causes and consequences of genomic instability. She has conducted research in the areas of DNA replication, DNA repair, DNA damage signaling, checkpoint signaling, and chromatin remodeling using mouse models and cell culture approaches. Smith-Roe also has a background in neurobehavioral science (learning, memory, and stress).
Smith-Roe is active in national and local societies dedicated to research and issues surrounding genomic health. Smith-Roe is a member of the Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society (EMGS). She is serving as a Councilor for 2013 - 2016 and was appointed as a Councilor Liaison to the Executive Board for 2014 - 2015. Smith-Roe is currently serving as President for the Genetics and Environmental Mutagenesis Society (GEMS) and served as President-Elect for 2014 - 2015. She previously served GEMS as a Councilor on the Board of Directors (2009 - 2011).
Smith-Roe obtained a B.S. in Zoology and Psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and received her Ph.D. in Environmental and Molecular Toxicology from Oregon State University. Upon completion of her graduate work, Smith-Roe obtained a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Hong HH, Hoenerhoff MJ, Ton TV, Herbert RA, Kissling GE, Hooth MJ, Behl M, Witt KL, Smith-Roe SL, Sills RC, Pandiri AR7. Kras, Egfr, and Tp53 Mutations in B6C3F1/N Mouse and F344/NTac Rat Alveolar/Bronchiolar Carcinomas Resulting from Chronic Inhalation Exposure to Cobalt Metal. Toxicologic pathology 2015 43(6):872-882. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL, Nakamura J, Holley D, Chastain PD 2nd, Rosson GB, Simpson DA, Ridpath JR, Kaufman DG, Kaufmann WK, Bultman SJ. SWI/SNF complexes are required for full activation of the DNA-damage response. Oncotarget 2015 6(2):732-745. [Abstract]
- Wilson TE, Demarini DM, Dertinger SD, Engelward BP, Hanawalt PC, Macgregor JT, Smith-Roe SL, Witt KL, Yauk CL, Ljungman M, Schwartz JL, Klein CB. 2013. Building on the past, shaping the future: The environmental mutagenesis and genomics society. Environ Mol Mutagen, 54(3):153-7. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL & Bultman, SJ. 2013. Combined gene dosage requirement for SWI/SNF catalytic subunits during early mammalian development. Mammalian Genome, 24(1-2):21-29. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL, Patel SP, Zhou YC, Simpson DA, Rao S, Ibrahim J, Cordeiro-Stone M, Kaufmann WK. 2013. Separation of intra-S checkpoint protein contributions to DNA replication fork protection and genomic stability in normal human fibroblasts. Cell Cycle, 12(2):332-345. [Abstract]
- Yang Y, Durando M, Smith-Roe SL, Sproul C, Greenwalt AM, Kaufmann WK, Oh S, Hendrickson EA, Vaziri C. 2013. Cell cycle stage-specific roles of Rad18 in tolerance and repair of oxidative DNA damage. Nucleic Acids Research, 41(4):2296-2312. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL, Patel SP, Simpson DA, Zhou YC, Rao S, Ibrahim JG, Kaiser-Rogers KA, Cordeiro-Stone M, Kaufmann WK. 2011. Timeless functions independently of the Tim-Tipin complex to promote sister chromatid cohesion in normal human fibroblasts. Cell Cycle, 10(10):1618 - 1624. [Abstract]
- Gaddameedhi S, Kemp MG, Reardon JT, Shields JM, Smith-Roe SL, Kaufmann WK, Sancar A. 2010. Similar nucleotide excision repair capacity in melanocytes and melanoma cells. Cancer Research, 70(12):4922-30. [Abstract]
- Kemp MG, Akan Z, Yilmaz S, Grillo M, Smith-Roe SL, Kang T, Cordeiro-Stone M, Kaufmann WK, Abraham RT, Sancar A, Unsal-Kacmaz K. 2010. Tipin-RPA interaction mediates Chk1 phosphorylation by ATR in response to genotoxic stress. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 285(22):16562-16571. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL, Loehr CV, Bildfell RJ, Fischer KA, Hegan DC, Glazer PM, Buermeyer AB. 2006. Induction of aberrant crypt foci in DNA mismatch repair-deficient mice by the food-borne carcinogen 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo [4,5-b] pyridine (PhIP). Cancer Letters, 244(1):79-85. [Abstract]
- Smith-Roe SL, Hegan DC, Glazer PM, Buermeyer AB. 2006. Mlh1-dependent suppression of specific mutations induced in vivo by the food-borne carcinogen 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo [4,5-b] pyridine (PhIP). Mutation Research, 594(1-2):101-112. [Abstract]