Health Assessment and Translation
Mike Shelby, Ph.D.
Sr. Advisor (Retired)
Tel (919) 541-3455
Fax (919) 541-4511
Mike Shelby serves as a senior advisor in the National Toxicology Program’s Office of Health Assessment and Translation at NIEHS. He served as director of the NIEHS/NTP Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction from 1998 to 2009.
He has been at NIEHS since 1977, serving in the office of the Associate Director for Genetics, as head of the Mammalian Mutagenesis Section, as head of the Reproductive Toxicology Group, and as Chief of the Laboratory of Toxicology. Prior to joining NIEHS, he was a research associate at the Biology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
He received his B.S. in biology (1966) from Central State College (now the University of Central Oklahoma), Edmond, Oklahoma and his Ph.D. in genetics (1973) from the University of Tennessee. His graduate training was in radiation mutagenesis and DNA repair.
He has served as President of the Environmental Mutagen Society, the Genotoxicity and Environmental Mutagen Society, and the NIEHS Assembly of Scientists. He was an editor of Mutation Research from 1980 to 2009.
- Frias S, Van Hummelen P, Meistrich ML, Lowe XR, Hagemeister FB, Shelby MD, Bishop JB and Wyrobek AJ. 2003. NOVP chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s Disease transiently induces sperm aneuploidies associated with the major clinical aneuploidy syndromes involving chromosomes X, Y, 18, and 21. Cancer Res 63(1): 44-51. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12517776) ]
- Lawson CC, Schnorr TM, Daston GP, Grajewski B, Marcus M, McDiarmid M, Murono E, Perreault SD, Schrader SM and Shelby M. 2003. An occupational reproductive research agenda for the third millennium. Environ Health Perspect 111(4): 584-592. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12676620) ]
- Choksi, N.Y., Jahnke, G.D., St. Hilaire, C., and Shelby, M.: Role of Thyroid Hormones in Human and Laboratory Animal Reproductive Health. Birth Defects Research Part B, 68:479-491 (2003). [Abstract (http://preview.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14745982?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=7) ]
- Favor, J and Shelby MD. 2004. Transmitted mutational events induced in mouse germ cells following acrylamide or glycidamide exposure. Mutation Res 580(1-2): 21-30. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15668104) ]
- Jahnke, G.D., Choksi, N.Y., Moore, J.A., and Shelby, M.D.: Thyroid Toxicants: Assessing Reproductive Health Effects. Environmental Health Perspectives, 112(3):363-8 (2004). [Abstract (http://preview.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14998754?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=6) ]
- Ghanayem BI, Witt KL, El-Hadri L, Hoffler U, Kissling GE, Shelby MD and Bishop JB. 2005. Comparison of germ cell mutagenicity in male CYP2E1-null and wild-type mice treated with acrylamide: evidence supporting a glycidamide-mediated effect. Biol Reprod 72(1): 157-163. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15355880) ]
- Jahnke, G.D., Iannucci, A.R., Scialli, A.R., and Shelby, M.D.: Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction - The First Five Years. BDR Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, 74:1-8 (2005). [Abstract (http://preview.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15729732?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=4) ]
- Shelby MD. 2005. National Toxicology program Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction: Guidelines for CERHR Expert Panel Members. Birth Defects Research Part B 74(1):9-16. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15729730) ]
- Lawson CC, Grajewski B, Daston GP, Frazier LM, Lynch D, McDiarmid M, Murono E, Perreault SD, Robbins WA, Ryan MAK, Shelby M and Whelan EA. 2006. Workgroup report: Implementing a national occupational reproductive research agenda – decade one and beyond. Environ Health Perspect 114(3):435-441. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16507468) ]
- Wyrobek AJ, Mulvihill JJ, Wassom JS, Malling HV, Shelby MD, Lewis SE, Witt KL, Preston RJ, Perreault SD, Allen JW, DeMarini DM, Woychik RP, Bishop JB. 2007. Assessing human germ-cell mutagenesis in the Postgenome Era: a celebration of the legacy of William Lawson (Bill) Russell. Environ Mol Mutagen 48(2):71-95. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17295306) ]
- Witt KL, Shelby MD, Itchon-Ramos N, Faircloth M, Kissling GE, Chrisman AK, Ravi H, Murli H, Mattison DR, Kollins SH. 2008. Methylphenidate and Amphetamine Do Not Induce Cytogenetic Damage in Lymphocytes of Children With ADHD. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47(12):1375-1383. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18978633) ]