National Toxicology Program (NTP) Division
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health & Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
John R. Bucher, Ph.D.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Director, National Toxicology Program Division
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of the NTP. John Bucher, Ph.D, serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Bucher provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
The NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) , Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of the NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- EMGS honors Barbara Shane and Martyn Smith - December 2014
- NTP expands coverage of Nonneoplastic Lesion Atlas - December 2014
- Diversity Outbred mice better predict potential human responses to chemical exposures - December 2014
- NTP to conduct testing on chemicals from West Virginia spill - September 2014
- NTP symposium examines indoor air pollution from biomass fuels - September 2014
- A new approach to determine cancer risk of chemicals - September 2014
- Biologist uses art to further amphibian limb deformity research - August 2014
- NTP board green lights research concepts and predictive toxicology efforts - July 2014
- Peer review panel evaluates draft NTP technical reports - June 2014