Andrew A. Rooney
Health Assessment and Translation
- Andrew A. Rooney, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, Office of Health Assessment and Translation
Andrew Rooney, Ph.D., is deputy director of the Office of Health Assessment and Translation in the National Toxicology Program at NIEHS. Andrew has been actively involved in developing risk assessment methods and guidance throughout his professional career and is a principal author of the 2012 WHO/IPCS Guidance for Immunotoxicity Risk Assessment for Chemicals. He has 20 years of experience in toxicology and risk assessment for the protection of public health and has authored over 40 peer-reviewed documents in the field including manuscripts and government assessments. For the last several years, Dr. Rooney has been working on emerging issues in toxicology and environmental health including methods to address study quality in terms of risk of bias for human, animal, and mechanistic studies and adaptation of systematic review methods for addressing environmental health questions. He was a lead for the team that developed the OHAT Approach to systematic review and evidence integration for literature-based environmental health science assessments and was the project lead for developing the NTP Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead.
Rooney received his Sc.B. in Biology with Honors from Brown University, and completed his graduate training at the University of Florida, earning a M.S. and Ph.D. in Zoology. He was awarded a National Research Grant of Canada and served as a postdoctoral research fellow in immunotoxicology at the University of Quebec, INRS-SANTÉ. Rooney began working at the US EPA as a postdoctoral fellow in immunotoxicology and later joined the US EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System Staff, where he served as a health scientist and Team Leader before joining the NTP in 2009.
- Rooney AA, Boyles AL, Wolfe MS, Bucher JR, and Thayer KA. 2014. Systematic review and evidence integration for literature-based environmental health science assessments. Environ Health Perspect. 122(7): 711-718. [Abstract]
- Thayer KA, Wolfe MS, Rooney AA, Boyles AL, Bucher JR, and Birnbaum LS. 2014. Intersection of systematic review methodology with the NIH Reproducibility Initiative. Environ Health Perspect. 122(7): A176-A177. [Abstract]
- Rooney AA, AL Boyles, VR Walker (2014) Chapter 16: Systematic Review: An illustration of increased transparency in a framework for evaluating immunotoxicity associated with PFOA and PFOS exposure, In DeWitt J(ed.) “Health Effects of Perfluorinated Compounds,” Springer, New York, NY.
- World Health Organization (WHO)/ International Programme on Chemical Safety (IPCS) (2012) Harmonization Project No. 10. Guidance for Immunotoxicity Risk Assessment for Chemicals [Abstract]
- NTP (2012) Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead for NTP Office of Health Assessment and Translation, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Rooney AA, RW Luebke, MJ Selgrade, DR Germolec (2012) Chapter 3.9 Immunotoxicology and Its Application in Risk Assessment, In A Luch (ed.) “Molecular, Clinical and Environmental Toxicology: Volume 3: Environmental Toxicology.” Springer, New York, NY.
- Boyles AL, Harris SF, Rooney AA, and Thayer KA. 2011. Forest Plot Viewer: a fast, flexible graphing tool. Epidemiology 22(5): 746-747. [Abstract]