Abee L. Boyles
Health Assessment and Translation
Abee L. Boyles, Ph.D.
Abee Boyles, Ph.D. is a health scientist with the Office of Health Assessment and Translation in the National Toxicology Program at NIEHS. Dr. Boyles is currently leading the systematic review of Mountaintop Removal Mining: Impacts on Health in the Surrounding Community and the Synthetic Turf/Recycled Tire Crumb Rubber Research Program. She was the lead scientist for the Identifying Research Needs for Assessing Safe Use of High Intakes of Folic Acid Expert Panel. Dr. Boyles was part of the team that developed the OHAT Approach to systematic review and evidence integration for literature-based environmental health science assessments and contributed to the NTP Monograph on Health Effects of Low-level Lead. She also helped develop and provides user support for the Meta Data Viewer software program.
Dr. Boyles joined NIEHS in 2006 for her postdoctoral training under Allen Wilcox, M.D., Ph.D. in the Epidemiology Branch. Their primary research focused on the genetic and environmental factors associated with facial clefts and folate metabolism as a part of the Norway Facial Clefts Study. Boyles was a John T. Caldwell Alumni Scholar at North Carolina State University where she graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. in Zoology and a minor in Genetics. Boyles received her Ph.D. in Genetics and Genomics from Duke University as a James B. Duke Fellow under the mentorship of Marcy Speer, Ph.D. in the Center for Human Genetics.
- Boyles AL, Yetley EA, Thayer KA, and Coates, PM. 2016. Safe use of high intakes of folic acid: research challenges and paths forward. Nutrition Reviews. 74 (7): 469-474
- NTP Monograph: Identifying Research Needs for Assessing Safe Use of High Intakes of Folic Acid. 2015. (Lead Scientist and First Author) [PDF]
- Rooney AA, Boyles AL, Wolfe MS, Bucher JR, and Thayer KA. 2014. Systematic review and evidence integration for literature-based environmental health science assessments. Environ Health Perspect. 122(7): 711-718. [Abstract]
- Boyles AL, Harris SF, Rooney AA, and Thayer KA. 2011. Forest Plot Viewer: a fast, flexible graphing tool. Epidemiology 22(5): 746-747. [Abstract]
- Boyles AL, Ballard JL, Gorman EB, McConnaughey DR, Cabrera RM, Wilcox AJ, Lie RT, and Finnell RH. 2011. Association between inhibited binding of folic acid to folate receptor α in maternal serum and folate-related birth defects in Norway. Human Reproduction 26(8): 2232-2238. [Abstract]
- Boyles AL, DeRoo LA, Lie, RT, Taylor JA, Jugessur A, Murray JC, Wilcox AJ. 2010. Maternal alcohol consumption, alcohol metabolism genes and the risk of oral clefts: a population based case-control study in Norway. Am J Epidemiol 172(8): 924-931. [Abstract]