Warren Casey, Ph.D.
Warren Casey, Ph.D.
Director – NICEATM
Warren Casey, Ph.D., is Director of the U.S. National Toxicology Program's Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM), National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). He received his undergraduate degree in biochemistry and his Ph.D. in microbiology from North Carolina State University (NCSU). Casey also serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Microbiology at NCSU and is Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology (D.A.B.T.).
Prior to joining NICEATM, Casey was the Manager of Pharmaceutical Microbiology at Glaxo Inc. from 1994 to 1999; Head, Biomarker Development, at GlaxoWellcome, Inc., from 1999 to 2002; and a Senior Scientist, Discovery and Investigative Toxicology, at GlaxoSmithKline, Inc., from 2002 to 2009.
Casey is the author or co-author of over 28 publications in peer-reviewed journals, holds three patents, and has made presentations at scientific meetings.
- Huang R, Sakamuru S, Martin MT, Reif DM, Judson RS, Houck KA, Casey W, Hsieh JH, Shockley KR, Ceger P, Fostel J, Witt KL, Tong W, Rotroff DM, Zhao T, Shinn P, Simeonov A, Dix DJ, Austin CP, Kavlock RJ, Tice RR, Xia M. Profiling of the Tox21 10K compound library for agonists and antagonists of the estrogen receptor alpha signaling pathway. Scientific reports 2014 4():5664-.[Abstract]
- Stokes W, McFarland R, Kulpa-Eddy J, Gatewood D, Levis R, Halder M, Pulle G, Kojima H, Casey W, Gaydamaka A, Miller T, Brown K, Lewis C, Chapsal JM, Bruckner L, Gairola S, Kamphuis E, Rupprecht CE, Wunderli P, McElhinney L, De Mattia F, Gamoh K, Hill R, Reed D, Doelling V, Johnson N, Allen D, Rinckel L, Jones B. "Report on the international workshop on alternative methods for human and veterinary rabies vaccine testing: state of the science and planning the way forward." Biologicals: journal of the International Association of Biological Standardization 40(5):369-381, 2012.[Abstract]
- W. Casey; P. Ceger; F. Deal; D. Allen; G. Clark; P. Pazos; E. Grignard; J. de Lange; S. Bremer; M. Nakamura; H. Kojima; W. Stokes. “Final Results of an International Validation Study of an In Vitro ER TA Test Method in BG-1 Cells." Poster, Society of Toxicology annual meeting, March 2010.
- F. Deal; W. Casey; P. Ceger; D. Allen; C. Yang; M. Nakamura; H. Kojima; A. Ono; H. Yoon; S. Han; W. Stokes. “International Validation Study of an In Vitro (MCF-7) Cell Proliferation Test Method for Screening Potential Estrogenic compounds.” Poster, Society of Toxicology annual meeting, March 2010.
- Crosby L, Casey W, Morgan K, Ni H, Yoon L, Easton M, Misukonis M, Burleson G, Ghosh DK. (2010) “Murine J774 macrophages recognize LPS/IFN-g, non-CpG DNA or two-CpG DNA-containing sequences as immunologically distinct.” Nitric Oxide. Apr 1;22(3):242-57. Epub 2010 Jan 25.[Abstract]
- Warren Casey, Heidi Colton, Heidi; Erin Bingham, Shawn Ritchie. "Oxidative Stress is the Mechanism of PPAR-Induced Skeletal Myopathy." Poster, Society of Toxicology annual meeting, March 2009.
- Shawn Ritchie, Erin Bingham, Warren Casey. "Application of FTICR Non-Targeted Metabolomics to Assess the Pharmacologic and Toxicologic Properties of PPAR alpha/delta Dual Agonist, GSK610742X.” Platform presentation, Society of Toxicology annual meeting, March, 2009.
- B. Ganter et al. "Multi-Omics Characterization of the Anti-Parkinson’s Drug Tolcapone and its Potential in Inducing Idiosyncratic Liver Toxicity Compared to Entacapone.” Platform presentation, Society of Toxicology annual meeting, March 2009.
- Shawn Ritchie, Warren Casey, Yanqiu Xiang, Stephen O’Hearn, Doug Heath, and Dayan Goodenowe. "Identification of Biomarkers in Drug Development Using High Resolution Non-Targeted Metabolomics.” World Biomarker Conference, 2008.
- "Correlation analysis of gene expression and clinical chemistry to identify biomarkers of skeletal myopathy in mice treated with PPAR agonist GW610742X". Casey WM, Brodie T, Yoon L, Ni H, Jordan HL, Cariello NF. (2008) Biomarkers, Jun;13(4):364-76,[Abstract]