NTP Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM)
NICEATM is an office of the NTP that evaluates alternative methods used for testing chemicals for research or regulatory purposes. Alternative test methods:
- Replace traditional animal models with nonanimal systems such as computer models or biochemical or cell-based systems, or replaces one animal species with a less highly developed one (for example, replacing a mouse with a worm)
- Reduce the number of animals used to the minimum number required to obtain scientifically valid data
- Refine procedures to lessen or eliminate animal pain and distress, or improve animal well-being
NICEATM activities include:
- Providing bioinformatics and computational toxicology support to the NTP Biomolecular Screening Branch and NIEHS Tox21 projects
- Conducting and publishing analyses and evaluations of data from new testing approaches
- Providing information to test method developers, regulators, and regulated industry through its website, mailing list, and publications
- Organizing workshops and symposia on topics relevant to alternative methods development
- Coordinating independent validation studies of priority alternative testing approaches
NICEATM also administers and provides scientific and operational support for the Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods (ICCVAM) . ICCVAM is an interagency committee of 15 U.S. Federal regulatory and research agencies that generate or use toxicity testing data.
The ICCVAM Authorization Act of 2000 (42 U.S.C. 285l-3) established ICCVAM as a permanent interagency committee under NICEATM.
NICEATM and ICCVAM work together to:
- Evaluate new, revised, and alternative test methods with regulatory applicability, and provide recommendations on the use of these methods to Federal agencies
- Promote the scientific validation and regulatory acceptance of alternative methods
- Foster national and international harmonization of alternative methods.
ICCVAM welcomes submissions of alternative safety testing methods for validation studies or evaluations. Information on preparing submissions is available on the NTP website .
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Alternative Toxicological Methods (SACATM) provides external advice on ICCVAM and NICEATM activities.
Warren Casey, Ph.D.
Director – NICEATM
Elizabeth Maull, Ph.D.
Toxicologist; Program Administrator
Tel (919) 316-4668
Fax (301) 480-3008
P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop K2-17
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Delivery | Postal
Environmental Factor Articles
- Linking high-throughput data to human exposures
- Adverse outcome pathway workshop generates enthusiasm and collaboration
- Small fish may offer big opportunities for future toxicity testing
- High-throughput toxicity screening produces human-relevant results
- PEPH webinar highlights alternative testing methods
- NTP presentations highlight new technologies to protect human health
- Advisors learn about the reinvention of ICCVAM
- NICEATM/EPA workshop on evaluating cardiovascular safety
- Industry scientist discusses statistical approach to safety testing
- Casey presents at workshop on stem cells in cardiotoxicity studies