National Toxicology Program (NTP) Division
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health & Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
John R. Bucher, Ph.D.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Director, National Toxicology Program Division
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of the NTP. John Bucher, Ph.D., serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Bucher provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
The NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) , Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of the NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- Kidney toxicity screening tool developed by grantee and NTP team - September 2015
- NTP panel agrees flame retardant mixture exhibits carcinogenic activity - August 2015
- Tox21 tools promoted at UC Davis meeting - July 2015
- NTP completes chemical spill studies, finds water advisory level protective - July 2015
- New data tools top the agenda at NTP board meeting - July 2015
- Expert panel identifies research needs on high folic acid intake - June 2015
- NTP hosts regional meeting to highlight juvenile toxicology - April 2015
- NTP trainees get practical support before SOT - April 2015
- New method will reduce animal use in pertussis vaccine testing - April 2015
- Toxicology and public health merge at SOT conference in San Diego - April 2015
- NTP presents SAN trimer results at Toms River public meeting - March 2015