National Toxicology Program (NTP) Division
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health & Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S. (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/about/od/director/index.cfm)
Director, NIEHS & NTP
John R. Bucher, Ph.D. (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/atniehs/dntp/index.cfm)
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Director, National Toxicology Program Division
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of the NTP. John Bucher, Ph.D, serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Bucher provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
The NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) , Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of the NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- New NTP atlas helps standardize nonneoplastic lesion diagnoses (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2014/2/science-ntpatlas/index.htm) - February 2014
- NTP shares new toxicology approaches with international colleagues (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2014/1/spotlight-ntpsweden/index.htm) - January 2014
- NTP panel peer reviews substances for potential listing as carcinogens (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2014/1/science-ntproc/index.htm) - January 2014
- Expert panel concurs with conclusions in draft NTP technical reports (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/12/science-expert/index.htm) - December 2013
- Bucher keynotes at meeting of hazardous waste specialists (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/10/spotlight-bucher/index.htm) - October/November 2013
- NTP postdoc takes top prize at NCSOT meeting (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/10/science-ntpxu/index.htm) - October/November 2013
- NTP talk explores zebrafish as a vertebrate model in toxicity screening (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/9/science-ntptalk/index.htm) - September 2013
- NTP postdocs recognized with Society for Toxicologic Pathology awards (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/8/science-ntppostdocs/index.htm) - August 2013
- NIEHS and NTP join colleagues at Teratology Society meeting (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2013/8/science-teratology/index.htm) - August 2013