Environmental Factor, September 2011, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
2012 NIH Director's Award programs funding opportunities
By Eddy Ball
In August, NIH announced that it is welcoming proposals for the 2012 NIH Director's Pioneer Award and New Innovator Award programs for innovative approaches to major challenges in biomedical or behavioral research. Submission deadlines are Oct. 7, 2011 for Pioneer Award applications and Oct. 14, 2011 for New Innovator Award applications.
NIH expects to fund at least 7 Pioneer Awards and 33 New Innovator Awards in summer 2012. To continue its strong record of diversity in these programs, NIH especially encourages women and members of groups that are underrepresented in NIH research to apply.
- Pioneer Award(http://commonfund.nih.gov/pioneer/) program:
- Up to $2.5 million in direct costs over 5 years
- Open to scientists at any career stage.
- New Innovator Award(http://commonfund.nih.gov/newinnovator/) program:
- Up to $1.5 million in direct costs over 5 years
- For early career stage investigators, defined as those who have not received an NIH R01 or similar grant and are within 10 years of completing their terminal research degree or medical residency.
The Pioneer Award and New Innovator Award programs are funded through the NIH Common Fund(http://commonfund.nih.gov/) , which encourages collaboration and supports a series of exceptionally high-impact, trans-NIH programs. These programs are managed by the NIH Office of the Director, in partnership with the various NIH Institutes, Centers, and Offices.