Environmental Factor, September 2005, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Up and Coming
- The NIEHS Fitness and Wellness Program is taking reservations for a horseback outing Sept. 10 for NIEHS employees. If at least 10 people sign up, the cost will be $17 per person. If less than 10 sign up, the cost will be $20. No riding experience is required, and family members are also invited. Riders will meet at 11 a.m. at J&H Stables on Ebenezer Church Road in Raleigh for a one-hour ride on the trails of Umstead Park. The deadline to sign up is Sept. 8 at noon. To register, contact staff in the NIEHS Fitness Room.
- The NIEHS Work Life Center career counselor will be available Sept. 14 and Sept. 27 for private, confidential career consultations. To book a session, contact the NIH Work Life Center at (301) 4351617
- "Introduction to Radiation Safety at NIEHS" will be offered daily Sept. 13-15 from 1-4 p.m. in conference room D450. The nine-hour course is required for people who will use radioactive material at NIEHS. A refresher course, required every two years for active radiation workers, will be offered Sept. 21 at 10 a.m., also in conference room D450. The refresher course is required for new employees who will work with radiation at NIEHS but who have previous training. To register for the training or to get additional information, contact Bill Fitzgerald at 541-0325.
- "What Does Retirement Mean to Me?" will be held Sept. 15 from 2:30-5 p.m. in Nottingham Hall, conference room 204AB. The seminar will cover topics like: What do I want from retirement?; How will I spend my time?; What are my personal interests?; What support resources are available?; How will my retirement affect others in my life?; Are there alternatives to retirement? For more information, contact Cynthia Radford at 541-1806. To register for the course, contact A'tondra Carree at 541-7883.
- The NIH Ombudsman Kevin Jessar will be at NIEHS Sept. 20-22 to meet confidentially with NIEHS staffers. The ombudsman in an informal and neutral resource to help people address work-related issues, including inter-personal tensions, mentoring relationships and scientific collaborations. To schedule an appointment, call Jessar on his private line at (301) 594-9550. For more information, go to http://www4.od.nih.gov/ccr/.