Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity (F31)
The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research will provide up to five years of support for research training leading to the Ph.D. or equivalent research degree; the combined MD/Ph.D. degree; or other combined professional degree and research doctoral degree in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences.
- This initiative seeks to improve the diversity of the health-related research workforce by supporting the training of predoctoral students from groups that have been shown to be underrepresented. Such candidates include individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Applicant fellows must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States, or must have been lawfully admitted to the United States for Permanent Residence.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent research degree program, a formally combined M.D./Ph.D. program, other combined professional doctoral/research Ph.D. graduate program in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences, or have been accepted by and agreed to enroll in such a graduate program in the academic year for which funds are sought.
- The applicant must identify an active investigator in the area of the proposed research who will serve as a sponsor or mentor and who will supervise the training and research experience.
- As an applicant, the candidate together with his/her sponsor(s) and institution are jointly responsible for planning, directing, and executing the proposed project.
- The fellowship award provides an annual stipend, an allowance for tuition and fees, and an annual institutional allowance.
The full announcement for this program is located at PA-14-148: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-14-148.html
Notice: Please see the NIH announcement below regarding the "Additional Education Information" component of the fellowship application.
- NOT-OD-14-135 : Notice to Emphasize the Requirement for Additional Educational Information under PA-14-148 "Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Parent F31 - Diversity)"
Michael (Mike) Humble, Ph.D.
Health Scientist Administrator