Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity (F31)
The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research will provide up to five years of support for research training leading to the Ph.D. or equivalent research degree; the combined MD/Ph.D. degree; or other combined professional degree and research doctoral degree in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences.
- This initiative seeks to improve the diversity of the health-related research workforce by supporting the training of predoctoral students from groups that have been shown to be underrepresented. Such candidates include individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Applicant fellows must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States, or must have been lawfully admitted to the United States for Permanent Residence.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent research degree program, a formally combined M.D./Ph.D. program, other combined professional doctoral/research Ph.D. graduate program in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences, or have been accepted by and agreed to enroll in such a graduate program in the academic year for which funds are sought.
- The applicant must identify an active investigator in the area of the proposed research who will serve as a sponsor or mentor and who will supervise the training and research experience.
- As an applicant, the candidate together with his/her sponsor(s) and institution are jointly responsible for planning, directing, and executing the proposed project.
- The fellowship award provides an annual stipend, an allowance for tuition and fees, and an annual institutional allowance.
The full announcement for this program is located at: http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-11-112.html
Michael (Mike) Humble, Ph.D. (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/dert/geh/humble/index.cfm)
Health Scientist Administrator
Tel (919) 316-4621
Fax (919) 541-5064
Division of Extramural Research and Training
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 12233 (MD K3-15)
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
See our current F31 grantees (http://tools.niehs.nih.gov/portfolio/index.cfm/portfolio/searchResults/grant_number/F31)