Agenda, Participants and Videos
Public Health Impacts of Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
November 25, 2009
The National Press Club
529 14th Street, Washington, DC
The findings of a major international study to investigate the public health impacts of different strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions were made public on Wednesday, November 25, 2009. The release of the findings was a combined event in the UK and the US, coinciding with the publication of the results in the Lancet .
Intent of the launch event
- To report the findings of the study;
- To address the policy and public health implications of the findings, to send a clear message to governments and Copenhagen negotiators about the importance of addressing health in any mitigation strategies;
- To elevate awareness of the importance of health and climate change more broadly on the political agenda - including impacts, vulnerabilities and adaptation.
- Video from this event
- Agenda (Print Version)(84KB)
- PowerPoint Slides from the Event(1MB)
- C-SPAN coverage of closing remarks
|7:30 a.m||Registration and Breakfast (courtesy of the UN Foundation)|
ban_kimoon02 /about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/ban_kimoon02.mov 512 481 /resources/images/niehs512.png dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcssip', 'www.niehs.nih.gov', 'DCS.dcsuri', '/about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/ban_kimoon02.mov', 'WT.ti', 'ban_kimoon02.mov')
sebelius03.mov /about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/sebelius03.mov 512 481 /resources/images/niehs512.png dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcssip', 'www.niehs.nih.gov', 'DCS.dcsuri', '/about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/sebelius03.mov', 'WT.ti', 'sebelius03.mov')
chan01 /about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/chan01.mov 512 481 /resources/images/niehs512.png dcsMultiTrack('DCS.dcssip', 'www.niehs.nih.gov', 'DCS.dcsuri', '/about/visiting/events/pastmtg/2009/climate/agenda/chan01.mov', 'WT.ti', 'chan01.mov')
Public Health Policy Panel Discussion and Q&A with Panelists
Press Conference - Q&A (UK video link ends)
- Impact of findings on Copenhagen negotiations and mitigation strategies
- How to facilitate technological changes?
- How to facilitate behaviour changes?
Discussion included full range of sectors examined in study
- Household energy
- Electricity generation
- Food and agriculture
- Short-lived greenhouse pollutants
- Public health
- Climate change negotiations
- Behavioral change
The Lancet , London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine , Department of Health , Economic and Social Research Council , Royal College of Physicians , National Institute for Health Research , The Academy of Medical Sciences , National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, The Wellcome Trust