Freedom of Information Act
Enacted in 1966, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. FOIA generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, of access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions thereof) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions.
Before submitting a request under FOIA, individuals should try to determine whether the information sought is already in the public domain. The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) has a wealth of information available in both published and electronic formats. A search of NIEHS' website, www.niehs.nih.gov, can be helpful in locating information.
It is important to note that FOIA allows agencies to recover part of the costs associated with responding to requests. Department of Health and Human Services regulations describe specific rules for fees and requesting a fee waiver.
How to Submit a FOIA Request
If the information you are interested in is not in the public domain, please follow the suggestions listed below when preparing your FOIA request:
- Identify specific records requested and include as much information about those records as possible, for example: grant number and principal investigator's name, subject matter of the records, dates, originating office, etc.
- Include a statement that indicates the records are requested under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Provide your contact information including address, telephone number, and email address, in case our office needs additional information.
- Mail, fax, or email the request to the FOIA coordinator (see below). Or use the automated request via this Web site, by clicking: Contact NIEHS FOIA.
- If your request is for data from a grant, please refer to the guidelines for submitting a request under OMB Revised Circular A110 . Include a statement that the data is being requested under OMB Revised Circular A110.
For overnight shipments:
111 T.W. Alexander Dr.
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Freedom of Information Act Coordinator
Tel (919) 541-3411
For Additional Information
- Contact NIEHS Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Freedom of Information Act at NIEHS and NTP(1MB)
- Freedom of Information Regulations, CFR Title 45, Part 5
- NIH Freedom of Information Act Office
- Department of Health and Human Services FOIA Regulations