Office of Policy, Planning, & Evaluation
The Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation supports the NIEHS Director and other senior Institute staff in describing and interpreting programs and research of the Institute to Congress, scientific and public health communities, and the public. The office serves as liaison between Congressional staff and various government, health, and science agencies and organizations to inform Institute activities and to ensure NIEHS accessibility and responsiveness to the public.
The Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation performs these key functions:
- Evaluation of program goals and performance
- Implementation and management of new program initiatives
- Interpretation and dissemination of new legislation relevant to the NIEHS mission
- Management of NIEHS program information in the annual appropriations process
- Liaison to NIH, HHS, PHS, and national committees and initiatives
- Communications support for the Director, NIEHS, and senior staff
Sheila A. Newton, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Policy, Planning & Evaluation
Office of Policy, Planning, & Evaluation Staff
Kimberly Thigpen Tart, J.D.
Tel (919) 541-5377
Fax (301) 496-0563
Bill Jirles, M.P.H.
Tel (919) 541-2637